# Getting Started
We are using Google Cloud to manage and authenticate our API. This may change in the future but this is our current setup. This means that you will
need to create a Google Cloud project to use our API.
### How to get FREE API access
1. Create a new [Google Cloud Platform project](https://console.cloud.google.com/projectcreate). You should give it a descriptive name, e.g. "my-company-coin-parrot-api". You may use an existing
project with any other name, but any rate-limit increases (should you decide to upgrade from free tier) will be tied to a particular project.
2. [Enable billing](https://cloud.google.com/billing/docs/how-to/modify-project#enable_billing_for_a_project) for your project. GCP gives $300/year free credit for new accounts. There should be no charges from GCP for using this API.
3. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, informing the email of the corresponding GCP project admin, I will give you the permissions to enable this API in your project.
4. NOTE: Our Free API access is rate-limited to **5 calls per minute per project**. It is meant for **non-commercial use, or for in-development commercial use only**.
### Enable the API
Before you can make calls to this API, you need to enable it in the Cloud Platform project you created.
1. [View this API](https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/api.thecoinparrot.com/overview) in the Google APIs Console.
2. Click the **Enable** button, then wait for it to complete.
3. You can now call the API using the API key you created!
### Creating an API key
1. [Create an API key](https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials) in the Google APIs Console.
1. Click **Create credentials**, then select **API key**.
1. Click **Restrict Key**.
1. You should give the credential a descriptive name, e.g. "The Coin Parrot API (Development)"
1. (Optional) Under "API restrictions", select The Coin Parrot API. This is recommended so that this API key is restricted only to this API use.
1. Click **Save**
1. Copy the key to the clipboard.
### Using the API
Test out our API using the OpenAPI (Swagger) interface above! Note that the api key is placed in the `key=API_KEY` query parameter.
### Upgrade to increase the API rate-limit for $39/month
Contact email@example.com to increase your API rate-limit. We charge US$39/month for our API.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter any issues.
### Terms and Conditions
1. The **free API tier** is meant for **non-commercial use, or for in-development commercial use only**. You **may not** use this free tier for data mining to republish in your own API or product.
1. The Coin Parrot maintains an uptime SLA of 99.5%, which resets at the beginning of every month. Failure to meet the above uptime SLA will result in the following Financial Credits:
1. Monthly Uptime of 99.00 - < 99.5%: 10% discount for following month
1. Monthly Uptime of 95.00 - < 99.00%: 25% discount for following month
1. Monthly Uptime of < 95.00%: 50% discount for following month
1. In order to receive any of the Financial Credits described above, the user must contact The Coin Parrot technical support within thirty days from the time the user becomes eligible to receive a Financial Credit.
1. Attribution to our API is not required (but appreciated) if you are a premium API user.
1. You may not republish this API, or any data from this API, as your own. No whitelabelling is allowed (contact us should you need this).